As a young girl, Christmas time meant that I spent many afternoons watching my Nonna make endless batches of Italian Christmas cookies. Between the chilling, rolling,stuffing and hours of long work, these recipes were made only a few times a year because they were so time consuming.
Lucky for us, she made big batches so they would last us throughout the Christmas season. There was one thing she always made to garnish her cookies platters – candied nuts. To add a little color, she would add a touch of red and green sprinkles to make her presentation extra festive!.
These paleo-approved “candied” nuts might just steal the show on my cookie platters this year because they are just so darn good!
- 3 cups unsalted roasted whole almonds
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium sized bowl combine almonds, salt and cinnamon. Mix until combined
- Add in raw honey and coconut oil and mix to coat the almonds evenly
- Spread mixture evenly on a baking sheet
- Bake for about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through
- Remove from oven and toss again to re-coat the almonds. Let cool completely to ensure that the coating hardens
- Store in airtight container and enjoy!