I am welcoming the January Whole30 with open arms after a month full of far too many paleo treats. This Stovetop Veggie and Tomato Eggs recipe is my go-to breakfast that I prep over the weekend and pre-portion so that weekday breakfasts are a breeze. First you saute a bunch of vegetables, simmer them with crushed tomatoes then crack your eggs over them and let them cook away! Happy Day 1 to my fellow January Whole30ers.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups white onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1lb riced vegetable medley ( I use Trader Joe’s blend)
- 12 oz baby spinach (two bags)
- 1- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 12 eggs
- In a large frying pan heat avocado oil.
- Once hot add onions and ½ tsp salt. Cook until caramelized.
- Add riced veggies and cover pan with lid. Let cook 3-4 minutes to soften,.
- Add spinach and cover to wilt.
- Once wilted add crushed tomatoes and ½ tsp salt.
- Let simmer on low hear uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon or spatula flatten the vegetables to create a bed for the eggs.
- Crack eggs over vegetables and cover pan with lid.
- Let cook until yolks are cooked to your liking an egg whites are cooked through. (I let it cook for about 15 minutes)
- Once cooked turn off heat and let set on the stove a few minutes before serving.