The Italian in me has a strong love for all things tomato and pesto so I decided to combine the best of both world. This Pesto Pomodoro Sauce goes great on any protein, bed of veggies or even as a dip!
Pesto Pomodoro Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups white onions, diced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾lbs cherry tomatoes (I used 3- 10oz containers)
- 1-6oz can tomato paste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1½ cups paleo pesto (I use No Crumbs Left’s recipe)
- In a large saute pan heat avocado oil
- Once hot add onions and ½ tsp salt. Cook until caramelized.
- Add garlic and tomatoes. Cover about cook for about 12 minutes until tomatoes soften
- Stir in tomato paste and ½ tsp salt. Continue to cook covered for another 10 minutes to allow steam to release from tomatoes.
- Remove lit and use a wooden spoon to crush tomatoes.
- Add pesto to the sauce and mix in.
- Stir in basil and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Salt to taste.