My Nonna’s Inspired Bolognese Sauce
The best part about cooking is creating memories. Growing up, my Nonna prepared beautiful meals for my family. We’d sit around her big kitchen table for hours at a time, laughing, talking and savoring every bite of her delicious food. One of my favorite things to do after school was watching my Nonna prepare our dinners. I was so amazed at how effortlessly she moved about the kitchen. Cooking, especially for her family was one of her passions. As I got older I began to cook with her and write down some of her recipes. It was funny because she always cooked by eye, so she would have to add an ingredient and then we would take it out so I could measure it and write it down. I will forever cherish those special moments. I am so excited to share my Bolognese Sauce, inspired by my Nonna.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 tsp salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2-28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- Add ⅓ olive oil to large saucepan.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic and 1 tsp salt and let soften.
- Once softened and caramelized add ground beef to pan.
- While cooking mash meat to avoid clumps.
- After meat is browned add crushed tomatoes and 2.5 tsp salt.
- Let simmer for about 40-50 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve over spiralized veggies, spaghetti squash, or my favorite, Cappello’s paleo approved pasta.