For over two years now I have chosen to follow a paleo lifestyle. Although it is not perfect and I do have my non-compliant guilty pleasures, I feel a big part of why I am able to sustain this lifestyle is because I believe almost anything can be created using real, whole foods. Because I allow myself to be creative in the kitchen I do not feel as if I am missing out when it comes to my favorite foods. To me, these paleo onion rings are the epitome of paleo comfort food. My favorite way to enjoy these crispy rings is dipped in paleo ketchup alone side a juicy burger on a sweet potato bun!
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 1.5 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tsp salt + extra for sprinkling
- 2.5 tsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- Avocado oil for frying
- Place onions on a paper towel and pat dry.
- Combine flour, salt, and garlic powder into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs together.
- Heat a medium frying pan over high heat and add enough oil to create about an inch deep in your pan.
- Once the oil starts to simmer begin to batter your onions.
- First dip a few onions into the egg mixture allowing the excess to run off.
- Then dip them into the flour mixture and place them in the frying pan.
- Let them fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip halfway through.
- Remove them from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with a little salt while they are still hot.
- Continue to batter and fry the onions in batches.
- Serve alongside your favorite paleo dipping sauce!