When I decided to give up dairy a few years ago because of my stomach issues I think the hardest thing cutting out was ice cream. I just love the stuff in every shape and form! I’ll be honest though, because I have an intolerance to dairy and not a true food allergy I will have it as part of my Food Freedom when I feel it is really worth it. I just know I won’t feel my best afterward. This recipe is inspired by my desire to not miss out on cool, sweet summer treats without out the added stomachache and headache. This recipe is rich and creamy and sweetened with raw honey and banana, my favs!
- 1- 14oz can full fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- In a medium saucepan combine the coconut milk, almond milk, honey, vanilla extract and cacao powder.
- Cook over medium/low heat stirring frequently until it begins to boil and rise in volume and begin to foam.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Once cooled pour into food processor and add bananas. Run until smooth
- Pour ice cream into storage container and place in the freezer. Let freeze for about 2-3 hours. Stir every so often to let it evenly freeze.
- Before serving let thaw about 10 minutes.